You are not logged in.

Saturday, January 15th 2005, 6:53am

Its happened again!!!

This time my motherboard croaked, long story short I installed a new graphics card and my motherboard went belly up, again all my SS files and pictures are lost! Luckily Turkey is done but Atlantis will have lots of work to be done, mostly the drawings I was working on, but some SS files will be have to be done again.

If anyone has Drawings I have sent them please e-mail them to me again or post them!

Saturday, January 15th 2005, 8:33am

Bad trend...

You really need to get someone to work on your computer for you.

Saturday, January 15th 2005, 10:05am

Tell me about it, do you know how many sevice packs you have to download?......Bill Gates is evil!

I suspect that the Motherboard was the initial problem.

Saturday, January 15th 2005, 10:10am

Quoted

Bill Gates is evil!

Isn't that something that we already know? :-)

Saturday, January 15th 2005, 12:01pm

How does the mother board dying kill your hard drive?

Just put the drive in another PC and it should be OK - data wise.

I've got two separate HD in my old Pentium II with Win98. One is a mirror of the other so unless the PC burns down I should be OK.

If Bill Gates had a dime for every time Windows crashed... oh wait a minute, he does.

Cheers,

Saturday, January 15th 2005, 12:03pm

Quoted

unless the PC burns down I should be OK

or is stolen...

I'd think someone would use my Pentium 2 to hold the door open while they carry out other stuff.

Cheers,

Saturday, January 15th 2005, 12:50pm

Quoted

I'd think someone would use my Pentium 2 to hold the door open while they carry out other stuff.

You're suggesting that they would leave your computer behind, because it is a mere Pentium 2?
At the company I work, burglars raided the candy and pop vending machines just to get their hands on the change inside the machine (those fiends!!!!).
To burglars, your computer is just a computer. Whether it is a 50 dollar 486 or a 3000 dollar pentium 3, they will take it with them.

Saturday, January 15th 2005, 4:00pm

Wes, is your computer a Gateway?

If so, it really is only fit for a doorstop...

You might try what I've done - take all your SS files and upload them somewhere. That way if your 'puter goes ventre montant you can just download them again.

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Sunday, January 16th 2005, 1:38am

Back-up

Or burn your stuff on a CD now and then....

Sunday, January 16th 2005, 3:52am

Geez, Wes. I'm going to make sure I park my laptop in the hotel before we meet in Vancouver. Don't want the Wilson curse spreading to my machine.

Can't help you with designs and drawings - I don't think you ever sent anything to me by PM or email.

J

Sunday, January 16th 2005, 7:29am

Ok sorry I've been offline for another day, I had to completely reformat the computer and install all the relevant updates, next comes SS and Netframe as soon as I figure out why I have no sound!

"How does the mother board dying kill your hard drive?"

Dunno i'm only speculating, too much voltage?

I don't have a gateway, but worse, a Seanix!

Making a back up CD is on my list of things to do, once I get things running smooth again.

Sunday, January 16th 2005, 10:28am

ICQ is up and running, my new number is 196702562 for those who use ICQ!

Sunday, January 16th 2005, 11:43am

Can't access your old one? (number I mean)

Sunday, January 16th 2005, 3:04pm

Quoted

"How does the mother board dying kill your hard drive?"

Dunno i'm only speculating, too much voltage?

HDs are magnetic storage devices (or whatever is called in english). A sudden increase in voltage can kill the power unit in the computer (again, no idea how is called in english), and if long and high enough, fry your motherboard and CPU. It may damage your HD rendering its mechanism useless but the data stored could be recovered before throwing the thing to the garbage can. Been there, done that (well in fact the guys at the PC store did it for me, but you get my drift :D).

Your motherboard frying shouldn't kill the HD. Not the data stored, at least if your building wasn't hit by a thunder which overloaded everything connected to electricity on the whole house (heard of this actually happening, BTW, but never believed the story :P)

If you've lost your HD because (?) your motherboard died I'd suspect something nasty going on on your computer. A virus can hurt your HD,but not fry computers. But there are some other possiblities...like someone doing it on purpose. Because it can be done.

in any case it's very very strange.

Sunday, January 16th 2005, 9:07pm

Sorry I should have cleared that sequence of events up, the HD went first a few months back, now the motherboard went *poof*. I had a suspicion when the diodes on the MB were begining to bulge outward and ozzing their insides. The fan on the CPU was also starting to go. The new HD is just fine as is the CPU.

Adding the new graphics card seemed to accelerate things just a bit.