You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

goggles2

Unregistered

Tuesday, May 13th 2008, 7:47am

Hello there

hi there everyone

im new around here i guess and im curious to know more about this wesworld

ive skimmed thru your forums and from wat ive gathered you guys run some kind of naval conflict and design simulation game it sounds very interesting

ive read enough to know you arent looking for new players but im very curious about the sim itself

is it like a pen and paper number crunching type sim?

or is it a full blown game with a graphics and physics engine?

some screen shots would be helpful or a little more indepth explanation on just what wesworld is

ive been tooling around with your ship drawing tool and attempted a few ships on spring sharp 3 (most of which were dismal failures :P) ill post a report of one of my more sucessful designs eventually

but for now im just curious for more info

anyway cheers :D

Tuesday, May 13th 2008, 5:05pm

Hello Goggles and welcome to the site.

The sim itself is a numbers crunching system, we sure would love some sort of graphics engine but as far as I know, no one here can really muster up whats needed for that sort of endeavor.

We basically add eye candy in the form of personal drawings to represent our ship designs.

Tuesday, May 13th 2008, 5:46pm

Essentially, the sim is a geopolitical roleplaying game, taking place in quarter-year turns. The primary point of the roleplaying is to set the context for design of national navies and individual warships, though this has expanded somewhat to include land and air forces.

Springsharp is the tool for ship design; everybody has their own means of doing the larger fleet building - some have planning spreadsheets, others just kind of make it up on the fly. I was one of the former.

Pretty well everybody's first few Springsharp forays end in design failure, but if you start with historical designs and tinker, you get the hang of it.

goggles2

Unregistered

Wednesday, May 14th 2008, 12:01am

thanks for the replies guys

a have a very detailed book of the battleship bismarck with all the specifications that ill think ill use as the basis for a sucessful design (hopefully)

oh and one more question ive seen some of the line drawings you guys have made and they are really impressive im curious is thier somekind of program(s) that you use or are they basically drawn by hand?

or better yet can someone rattle off a list of the most commonly used utilies you guys use so i have everything i need :)

that would be great thanks

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "goggles2" (May 14th 2008, 12:03am)

Wednesday, May 14th 2008, 12:03am

We either draw them (like Wes), hack up existing drawings (like me), or get somebody more talented to do them.

Somewhere about I have a list of "Things I wish I knew when I started using Springsharp". Wonder where that went to...

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Brockpaine" (May 14th 2008, 12:05am)

Wednesday, May 14th 2008, 2:33am

For drawings I use MSPaint and a lot of patience!

goggles2

Unregistered

Thursday, May 15th 2008, 11:16pm

thanks again for your replies

indeed it does take a loooooong time to do up a full and accurate drawing on MS paint

im looking into other programs that could be useful

i imagine something like autoCAD could be adapted for ship drawings however i dont have my own copy of the software at home (use it at work occasionally)
nor am i particularly talented with autoCAD

but i am sure autoCAD or a similar program would work very well for this

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "goggles2" (May 15th 2008, 11:16pm)

Friday, May 16th 2008, 12:23am

AutoCAD is wonderful for this, IF you know what you're doing and have a copy available. Unfortunately at around $300-$500, depending on which version and extras, most don't.

goggles2

Unregistered

Friday, May 16th 2008, 12:51am

hmmm seems there is a free alternative autocad like program out there after all....

its called progeCAD its free for personal use and it seems quite capable for what we need

http://tinyurl.com/2whvtc

theres the link if anyones interested

Friday, May 16th 2008, 2:56am

The thing with MSPaint is once you have enough drawings you can make up a template of "parts" and simply cut, paste and tweak your drawings.

Currently my template has about 14 ships I'm drawing, tweaking or touching up.

Friday, May 16th 2008, 4:33am

There's someone on another forum who even uses Solidworks 3D. I could do that if I have the time, now I'm still working with Paint.

Kaiser Kirk

Lightbringer and former European Imperialist

Friday, May 16th 2008, 4:45am

I'm afraid if I attempted to draw a ship it would look like I used fingerpaint, not MS paint :)

Friday, May 16th 2008, 9:15am

I use SolidEdge/SolidWorks for CAD stuff at uni but haven't bothered doing any ships with it yet mostly because SolidWorks - no it doesn't. I figure I might draw up some AFVs over the summer to practice with it a bit more but ships are rather more complicated.